Rafale will bring Modi back, says Nirmala Sitharaman
- In The Lok Sabha witnessed sharp exchanges between Congress president and Defence Minister, who asserted: “Bofors took the Congress down but Rafale will bring Modi back”.
- Charging the Congress with ignoring national security, she accused the UPA of “stalling” the Rafale deal because “it didn’t get money”.
- Defence Minister also informed the Lok Sabha that the draft report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on all capital defence acquisitions, including the 36-aicraft Rafale deal, was with the Defence Ministry, which was preparing its responses to the observations.
- She said even the basic price of the aircraft as negotiated by the UPA would have amounted to Rs.737 crore at today’s rates as against the Rs. 670 core at which the NDA government was buying the jets.
- The Minister further claimed that the government had condensed the delivery time by five months; the first Rafale jet would be landing in the country in September and the last one would be delivered in 2022.
Point to remember